Bukwild is a boutique studio comprised of hands-on experts that deliver world-class digital experiences for branded DTC commerce and innovators in B2B. We believe you can deliver world-class craft from team members who are supported, honored and encouraged to find the right balance of work life and real life. We maintain a very collaborative culture where our teams in project management, design, and development work closely with our clients. Our 20 years of experience has led us to a distinctly user-first approach: we believe that when digital teams intentionally prioritize UX outcomes as related to business goals, it will ultimately yield stronger connections between brands and their consumers.
About the position
The stacks we work on most commonly are:
- Vue.js + Nuxt - Typically SSGed on Netlify (aka JAMStack)
- Shopify - Both conventional themes and custom (headless) storefronts
- LAMP - Mostly Wordpress but some legacy Laravel projects
- React - A la carte components as well as Next.js builds
The most common CMSs we use are:
- Craft CMS - Used headlessly with GraphQL API
- Contentful - Using GraphQL API
- Shopify - Both liquid-based themes as well as headlessly via GraphQL API
- Wordpress - Typically used conventionally (as opposed to via Rest API)
Common project types you will work on are:
- Creative marketing sites for mid-sized brands
- Direct-to-consumer ecommerce sites for brands
- New features and performance optimization for retained clients
Your responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing designs with project managers and designers in order to build a development plan that breaks down the project into individual components and systems.
- Finding performant methods for implementing third party code.
- Implementing JAMStack workarounds for third party code (GTM tags, Shopify Apps, etc) who are expecting a conventional (non client-side navigating) environment.
- Writing server side functions (Lambdas) that respond to webhooks or integrate with systems that require secret tokens.
- Identifying stack level performance opportunities and implementing improvements.
- Writing CLI tools in JS that run reports or migrate content between CMSs.
- Supporting fellow developers in spinning up dev environments and resolving CI/CD issues.
- Being available to respond to technical questions from other departments.
- Investigating opportunities for Core Web Vitals / PageSpeed improvements.
- Reviewing code of other dev team members.
You will be part of a team of 7 other developers within a company that staffs all the roles that allow Bukwild to function as a full service, interactive agency: designers, strategists, copywriters, producers, and many other roles. The majority of our staff resides in and around our headquarters in Sacramento, CA though we also have many, vital remote employees. We strive to keep meetings to a minimum while having enough structure to foster collaboration and keep projects on the rails. We believe strongly in taking pride in what you do, seeking excellence, while not sacrificing what matter most — you, your family, or your personal adventures.
You are expected to be someone who works well with others, can talk directly to clients, and can self-manage on projects where you may be the only developer. You will work on creative projects where you are expected to speak up when you see room for improvement in either the design or the build. You should have an eye for aesthetics that demands the correction of too-wide padding, inconsistent font sizing, and scaled-up images. We want you to propose new technologies we should adopt and help us keep afoot with best practices of our industry. You should enjoy teaching others and sharing knowledge with the rest of the team including contributing to our open source packages. We challenge you to suggest and implement organizational changes that will increase your happiness.
- 4 years of experience in web development in one of our commonly used stacks
- Professional experience with static site generation
- Professional experience with Google Tag Manager
- Ability to provide accurate time estimates
- Instinctual tidiness that leads to refactoring in order to reduce repetition, improve reusability, and make cleaner prop APIs
- A positive attitude, a friendly demeanor, a sense of humor, and an interest in working with others
- Must be authorized for employment in the US
Nice to Have:
- Leadership experience
- Experience with all commonly used stacks
- Experience with some of our commonly used CMSs or project types
- Experience with Pug, Stylus, or Coffeescript
- Full medical, dental, vision, STD, LTD, life insurance
- Generous PTO
- Generous work/life flexibility
- Office located in Sacramento, CA
- Remote (US only) positions available
Thank you for your interest!